Thursday, July 11, 2013

Virginia Renaissance Faire



My husband and I recently visited the Virginia Renaissance Faire during Pirate Invasion Weekend. Set on grounds of gorgeous Lake Anna Winery in Spotsylvania, the Faire separated itself from the busy, modern life. With this opportunity, I escaped from my daily routine and stepped back in time to an ancient English country village. It was unexpected fun and a wonderful experience.


We were lucky to meet Baron Stafford

The Faire is based on the late 16th century, during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I: “Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth has chosen to grace the town of Stafford with her presence. Baron Stafford, the lord of these lands, must find a way to host the Queen, and her court, and their servants, and their servant’s servants, and their animals, and their families. The food costs alone would turn him into a pauper. Yet, a visit from the Queen and her court would be good for the growing businesses of Stafford. A solution is delivered: levy a tax upon the people of Stafford to pay for the Queen’s visit. After all, a visit from the Queen is in their best interests, the people should be happy to pay for her. The task of establishing and collecting the tax has fallen to the Sheriff. He has been authorized to use any means necessary to collect the taxes, pay for the Queen’s visit, and ensure that Baron Stafford’s coffers are not completely emptied. Sometimes, the Sheriff becomes a bit overzealous in his pursuit of the dollar, but, after all, it is for everyone’s greater good. A lone member of the town has reasoned that the Sheriff is levying an illegal tax. When words fail to persuade the Sheriff to alter his course, the town hero must take up the sword to fight for what is right. Nothing is certain except for death and taxes.” ("Staffordshire").

All beautiful dresses show the classes of the ladies

Greeting us at the entrance was a less-handsome version of Captain Jack Sparrow. He welcomed us to the Faire with a friendly smile and handed us what appeared to be a treasure map. It included all the events, activities, and concession stands that would keep us busy all day long. At first sight, I was impressed with all the corset-type dresses and costumes around me. They were so colorful and beautiful, but also extremely tight and hot in the warm weather. We could see a lot of tents selling all the unique, handmade products. There was a great variety of goods: jewelry, pottery, swords, armor, leather goods, incense, candles, oils, wood-works, and so much more. I popped into a few cute tents to shop for a souvenir. I was so delighted to buy a beautiful inexpensive necklace. Conversations with the artisans as they create unique merchandise is a must. I learned that throughout the day, the artisans and the craftsmen would demonstrate how to make glass beads and how to make thread on the spinning-wheel. We only caught a view of a blacksmith making tools, but it was enough to fulfill my curiosity. The heat was unbearable, but the bustle of a busy market day in the village kept our energy high.

Captain Jack Sparrow and me

The theme story was about the visit of Queen Elizabeth to Staffordshire, where the poor town was rebuilding after a terrible fire("Staffordshire"). Here and there, we could see minstrels and actors wandering around the street seeking the Queen's favor. They also tried to win the townspeople’s approval and permission to rebuild a theater. We saw a puppeteer control his puppet to please the royal family. We listened to a minstrel playing guitar and singing an old song as well. We watched a gipsy dance troupe in the middle of the bazaar. There were multiple stages to entertain people. Musicians, fire jugglers, and aerial gymnastics, hired by the faire, performed with skill and enthusiasm. Even though I knew they were acting, I still felt like I was back in time. Everything seemed so real.

A puppeteer was showing his talent
It was such a thrill to witness the jousting tournament. Two knights on horseback thundered toward each other, lances drawn courageously. The knights even taught us some of the art of jousting, from putting on armor to training exercises, to actual combat. We also learned how to swing a sword and differences stances for attacking. The Royal Archers explained to us the history of the bow and arrow. I now understand how archery played an important part in Renaissance life. I saw the master archer perform his fantastic skill with an accurate shot. The best part is that we could actually participate in those activities. I, for the first time in my life, was able to pet a horse and shoot a long bow. We had the opportunity to throw an ax, but I only wanted to test my ability in archery. There was a conscientious and well-educated archer who taught me a lesson about the range and the best position for the best shot. There was so much information that not only blew my mind and dazzled my senses, but also exercised my body.

I got to learn about archery
After all those amazing outdoor activities, we moved on to the indoor activities. We enjoyed a belly dancing show in a pub called Barleycorn Tavern while being served by wenches. There were so many types of food from Renaissance-age to modern time. There were savory Scotch eggs, pretzels, pickles, cinnamon roasted nuts and many other foods. I even saw the biggest roasted turkey in my life. A tankard of cold mead was such a perfect choice on this sweltering day. As we were watching the show, the Queen entered the tavern and I could see how all the other villagers greeted her respectfully. They all stood up, even the dancers stopped dancing. All men bowed and all women did a small curtsy as they all shouted “ God save the Queen”. She said “God save you all” in reply. Then she was led to the chair with the best view of the room and the show continued. I've seen all this on television, however, to do that with all those people in their costumes felt both bizarre and exciting. The environment of the decoration, the music, the food and the beer added to the realism. With the accents and the acting, these actors and actress truly amazed me.

Belly dancing in Barleycorn pub

Everybody stood up for the Queen's arrival
Among nobles and fools, tradesmen and villagers, minstrels and dancers; my day was awash with fun and history. Rarely is there a chance for us to leave behind the daily stress of life to find joy, especially with all the charming characters of the Renaissance-age. I definitely will come back and highly recommend this festival to all of my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment